Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The New year begins

It has been a while since I have blogged. Between finding time for family and the hectic pace of the school year time has been hard to find. I will force myself to write smaller posts and keep my head in the bloggersphere more frequently.

This year the classes have started to blog. Or at least have started to get ready to blog. I have created 4 assignments to add to one post for each student. This will introduce them to blogger and have them ready to become class scribes and community members. Initial sign up went really well and blogger is making it easier for kids to join blogs. Yeah this is so much better than in years past.


I am excited to be part of Dean Shareski's preservice teachers course. His students will mentor mine at the class blogs and become part of an audience that will lend credibility to why we blog.
Students will start to scribe and fully participate in the classroom blog when October rolls around at the end of the week. I am very excited to get the grade 7's on board this year. An enthusiastic teacher and keen students will provide ample ground to teach social networking too. I am sure that the prevalence of facebook in todays youth makes most of what I am doing seem easy to these students. They just seem to get it faster this year.

With the 7's set up next week I can then shift gears to e-portfolios. I am going to use wikispaces again because of the easy setup. I will also encourage all students to get open ID passwords to make life easier.

Man where does the time go. Off to the last cross country practice of the year. Then one last meet on Thursday. We are going to win all 4 categories this year. Increadable kids. This feat has not been done in 20 years.

Life is going to be good this year..... and the Nintendo's come out next week.

No comments: