Tuesday, February 27, 2007

School 2.0

Two posts today reaffirmed my belief in the importance of School 2.0.

First I read Graham's post about Teachers Online. It is important for teachers to have an online presence. I wish I could convince more people in my building to catch the wave. I keep trying and slowly some start to take the first steps to becoming aware of School 2.0.

Then I read David Warlick's recent post. He included these 2 amazing images comparing school 2.0 and School 1.0.
School 1.0


School 2.o

When you see the diagrams remember this quote from David's post.
Students stop being mirrors, and instead become amplifiers. Their job is not merely to reflect what they encounter, but to add value to it. Content and skills are no longer the end product, but they become raw materials, with which students learn to work and play and share. Information is captured by the learner, processed, added to, remixed, and then shared back, to be captured by another learner/teacher and reprocessed.

Wow this is 2.0 in a nutshell. Students teaching teachers, students teaching students, students doing work without being prodded or fed with a silver spoon.

I love creating projects and giving students ideas to mash up and recreate into their personal learning.

When students want to learn........They will learn.

No comments: